Saturday, February 6, 2010

vintage style

This picture has nothing to do with anything, but isn't it great?

I came across a post about vintage style at Bertie's New Blog for Better Sewing. I really relate to her complaints about the expectations of vintage dressing. If I begin to wear vintage dresses, am I then obliged to style my hair in a certain way or to wear red lips every day?

I try to combine a few vintage pieces with modern ones or to mix clothing from several decades. I still wear the same hairstyle that I've had for years (partly because I'm too lazy to do 40s hair). My goal is to capture a vintage look or silhouette without looking like I'm in full costume. I do admire the girls who can pull off a more complete look, but it's not for me.

This is an old photo that I've posted before, but it's the best I could find that shows a combination of old and new that represents what I aim for.

top - American Apparel
scarf and skirt - thrifted
belt - a gift from Mom
tights - Target
shoes - Urban Outfitters

No comments:

Post a Comment