Monday, December 29, 2008

holiday entertaining, exhibit a

Matt's parents and grandpa came over last night for a little post-Christmas dinner, the first dinner they've had at our place. I was thrilled to have occasion to use all of my serving pieces (which Matt thinks are just unnecessary).

Peppercorn Beer Cheese Dip, Homemade Sweet & Sour Pickles, and Pretzel Turtles
lazy susan, my mother's

bowls and snack trays, thrifted


The dip in the center there is a delicious recipe I got from my mom. It's a peppercorn beer cheese dip. You'll need:

12 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, cubed
1/2 - 1 cup beer (to your taste)
1 cup mayo (I used light with olive oil)
1/2 - 1 tsp. green peppercorns or freshly ground pepper to taste

Throw it all in a food processor or blender. Refrigerate 4 hours, then let sit 1/2 hour. Now you've got yourself a dip. I like it with pretzels. (originally from Gourmet Magazine)

I made the easiest "baked goods" ever. I put baked in quotes because they bake for only 5 minutes and I didn't have to measure or mix anything.

ring or small twist pretzels
Rolos and pecan halves OR mini peanut butter cups and cocktail peanuts

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place pretzels on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Set Rolo or p.b. cup in the center of the pretzel (it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit perfectly). Bake for 5 minutes. Press in nuts. Let sit overnight or until chocolate has fully hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment